I work with a wide range of populations and issues. The services I provide break down as follows:
- Individual adult and adolescent (beginning age 13) counseling
- Couple counseling, both straight and gay, married and unmarried
- Family counseling
- Supervision for LLPC's working toward their required 3,000 hours of post-grad experience
- Workshops and presentations on mental health issues for organizations in the community
- Consultation w/ community organizations on specific issues and problems
"Can You Help Me?"
Probably. I have been trained to help people with normal problems in living. A partial list includes:
- Parenting issues
- Stress/burnout/coping skills
- Feelings of aimlessness/uncertainty about direction in life
- Suicidal thoughts/feelings/post-attempt counseling
- Guilt and regret
- Self-esteem issues
- Weight problems (I am not a dietician, nutritionist, or physical trainer)
- Premarital/Marital/Relationship counseling
- Divorce issues
- Most cases of bipolar disorder, borderline personality disorder and many other personality disorders
- Aftercare counseling for those coming out of rehab, and evaluation/referrals for many substance abuse issues
- Sexual obsessions and compulsions
- Evaluation and referrals for eating disorders
Many other issues, including most of those listed here*.
Sometimes I will become aware that I am not trained to help you with your issue but I can often evaluate the nature and extent of your problem and refer you to a specialist who can help.
*[If you are in a severe, active psychosis (hallucinations, delusions, extreme paranoia, etc.), you should go to your local emergency room.]
Problems I Don't Treat
There are things I'm not trained to treat, sometimes because of the specific issue, but most of the time because of severity. Examples include:
- Severe eating disorders
- Neurological issues (Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's, etc.)
- Dissociative Identity Disorder (formerly Multiple Personality Disorder)
- Severe ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorders)
- Severe psychotic disorders (schizophrenia, chronic psychotic depression and bipolar issues)
- Certain complex dual diagnosis issues (more than one diagnosis at a time) that may often require a specialist
- Severe substance abuse issues
- Reactive Attachment Disorder
- Severe and pervasive sexual issues
Even many of these I can diagnose and get you a good referral. I will always be honest about what I can help with and what I need to refer you for in order to get the best possible treatment.
I was in the ministry full-time from 1994 until 2016. Spiritual perspectives are deeply ingrained in my worldview. If you value this and want to approach counseling from this framework, that's comfortable territory for me. If you don't, that is fine too. Not everybody believes what I believe or wants to live the way I choose to live. I will help you find your best way of living in the world on your terms. Your counseling isn't about me anyway!
If you recently graduated with an M.A. in Counseling and are looking for a supervisor during your required 3,000 hours of supervised post-grad experience, I'm available. I charge $100 for one four-hour meeting monthly, an effective rate of $25/hour. I keep my rates as low as possible as a way of giving back to new counselors and to our profession.
I lead one group in Flint that meets the first Sunday of every month and one group in Lansing that meets the fourth Sunday of every month.
Teaching is one of my great passions and I'm good at it. I will gladly come and present to your school/church/community organization on a topic of your choice.
If you're dealing with a difficult situation at work and think you might be able to benefit from the insight/opinion of an experienced mental health counselor and counseling instructor, I'd love to help your organization get unstuck.